Feel the experience of flying to space
Officially made from a piece of metal of a “Soyuz” space launcher and from the fabric of a space suit “Sokol”, this Raketa 24-hour watch brings you very close to the experience of flying to space.
All of the incredible achievements of Soviet/Russian cosmonauts over the past 60 years would not have been possible without the famous Soyuz space launcher. Thanks to its simplicity and reliability, this iconic space rocket has made over 1.700 flights since it was first engineered in the 1960s, and remains to this day by far the most frequently used space launcher in the world.
This watch is a tribute to this iconic space launcher. Its bezel is made from a metal piece of the space launcher "Soyuz-2.1a" which took off on 14 October 2020 and made a record breaking 3 hour flight from the Baikonur launch pad to the ISS!
The cosmonauts Sergey Ryzhikov and Sergey Kud-Sverchkov, who were sent to space by this space launcher, actively participated in the design and production of this watch. They both insisted that the only crucial complication needed in space is a 24-hour movement to enable them to distinguish day from night in the ISS (where they have 16 sunrises and sunsets every 24 hours).
To bring you even closer to the experience of flying in the Soyuz rocket, the cosmonauts also suggested making the strap from the fabric of the famous Russian space suit “Sokol” that is worn by all cosmonauts flying in the Soyuz rocket. This space suit, made from a very robust white nylon canvas with royal blue trim, has all the features necessary to keep the cosmonaut alive at all times during the space flight in the Soyuz.
While you are still on Earth, you can wear the watch with a leather strap (this additional strap is offered with the watch). Both the “space suit” strap & leather strap have a « quick-change » system so that you can easily change them depending on where you are: training on Earth or flying to Space!
This watch is officially designed and produced in collaboration with the Russian Space Agency “Roscosmos”. Each watch is delivered with a certificate of Roscosmos certifying the true origin of the rocket metal and the space suit fabric. The collaboration between Roscosmos and Raketa made perfect sense:
- The brand “Raketa” (which means “space rocket” in Russian) was specially created in tribute to the first ever manned spaceflight by the Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin in 1961. Since then, the Raketa Watch Factory accompanied every step of the space conquest by engineering watches for Soviet/Russian cosmonauts.
- The Raketa mechanical movement was developed in the 60s and is well known for its simple & robust engineering construction: exactly like the “Soyuz” rocket launcher also developed in the 60s, which, thanks to its simplicity & reliability, has become the most used space rocket in the world.
See you in space!
Description of the watch
The Raketa “Space Launcher” model is limited to:
- 300 pieces with white dials; and
- 300 pieces with blue aventurine dials (reminding the sparkling stars in space).
It has the following features:
- The bezel is made from a metal piece of the actual "Soyuz-2.1a" launcher that took off on 14 October 2020 and made a record breaking 3 hour flight from the Baikonur launch pad to the ISS! The full name of the space rocket (as well as the cardinal marks) is engraved in Russian on the bezel.
- The strap (with a “quick change” system) is made from the real fabric of the famous Russian "Sokol" space suit that is worn by all cosmonauts/astronauts who fly on the Soyuz rocket.
- The second hand is represented by the Earth revolving around its axis.
- The seconds’ scale (printed on the sapphire glass) emphasises on the
countdown to launch (last 10 seconds).
- The movement is beautifully decorated with constellations printed on the
bridges of the movement and a special coating on the rotor.
- A few design elements discreetly pay tribute to the first manned space flight by Yuri Gagarin:
- The design of the hour & minute hands replicates the hands on the control panel of Gagarin’s spacecraft.
- On the model with a white dial, the countdown printed on the sapphire glass is followed by the word “Poyekhali!” (Let's go!) that Gagarin pronounced as he flew off.
Each watch is delivered with:
- a complimentary leather strap (with a “quick change” system),
- a brochure providing more detailed information,
- the official insignia of this space mission; and
- a certificate of Roscosmos (certifying the true origin of the rocket metal and
the space suit fabric).